Please keep in mind that the purpose of presenting a poster is to outline your work for discussion. Therefore, poster presenters are required to attend their poster and be available for questions during their assigned poster session (see schedule below).
Poster Preparation Guidelines
Please prepare your poster to communicate the main points of your work to stimulate discussion with your viewers.
- All poster presenters are required to upload a two-slide PowerPoint of their actual poster using the Presentation Submission form no later than Wednesday, 14 October 2015. The first slide should include your name, abstract number, and poster title; the second slide should contain your actual poster.
- The display area is 4 feet wide by 4 feet high; you will be sharing an 8’x4′ display board with another poster presenter. Plan your poster to be a few inches smaller than the dimensions of the poster space allocated to you.
- Each poster space will be marked with an abstract number. Please mount your poster on the poster board labeled with your assigned abstract number.
- The abstract numbers have meaning! An example abstract number is P1-A. In this case, the “P” refers to the fact that it is a poster abstract; the “1” refers to the sequentially numbered space in the poster display area where you will find this poster; and the “A” refers to the fact that the poster will be attended and presented in person during Poster Session A. All odd-numbered posters will be presented during Session A; all even-numbered posters will be presented during Session B.
- Push pins will be provided to mount your poster to the poster board. You are also welcome to bring your own push pins and/or Velcro.
- There will be a table underneath each poster board where you can leave handouts. If you would like to make your poster somewhat simple but provide greater detail on your work in a handout, you may do so. Conference organizers will not be responsible for providing copies of your handouts; you must do that on your own.
- Poster presentations should be simple and to the point. Use a minimum amount of clear text. Avoid jargon.
- Make sure the poster is easy to read. Use large, BOLD fonts. Text color should highly contrast the background color for legibility for all attendees including those who are colorblind.
- Include section headings to direct the reader’s attention.
- Catch your reader’s attention with accent colors for contrast and to highlight main points.
- Use borders or white space to separate sections and increase legibility.
- Use simple figures (graphs, charts, illustrations and photographs) to illustrate your point. Make sure to include captions!
- Summarize your results/findings with bullet points.
The safest way to ensure that your poster arrives on time is to carry it with you when you travel. However, if you choose to ship your poster to the hotel, please ship it to your name to your hotel room, not to the attention of the conference. We are not responsible for lost posters.
Unless you opted out of having your poster judged (an opt-out was available during the abstract submission process), at least three poster judges will rate your poster on a pre-established set of criteria. If you are interested in being recognized for one of the top three posters at the conference according to the poster judges, please review the judging criteria carefully and ensure your poster addresses all of the listed criteria. There are separate criteria for Research submissions and Innovations submissions, so be sure to review the correct document based on the category you indicated during abstract submission.
Many people have their posters printed at their institution or by a print shop that can ship directly to the hotel. If you want to have your poster printed in Tucson in order to avoid traveling with or shipping it, there are a couple of options for printing locally:
- AlphaGraphics: (520) 881-1645, will deliver to the Loews Ventana Canyon
- FedEx Office Print & Ship Center: (520) 290-2812, will deliver to the Loews Ventana Canyon
AlphaGraphics has agreed to offer ICEC poster presenters a discount on their poster printing. The price per poster will depend on the total number of poster orders they receive; it will cost between $97.19 (most expensive) and $79.41 (least expensive) per poster. In order to take advantage of this discount, please follow these submission guidelines:
- Format the poster to be 41.5″ x 46″. This is the largest size AlphaGraphics can accommodate that will fit on our poster boards.
- Upload the file using the AlphaGraphics website.
- You must include your contact information so that they can contact you for payment; otherwise, your poster will not be printed.
- In the Comments section of the form, you must include the text, “145046 Cancer Education Poster“ in order to receive the conference discount.
- Place your order no later than Friday, 16 October 2015. Posters will be delivered to the Loews Ventana Canyon on Tuesday, 20 October 2015. If you will not arrive until after Tuesday, simply mention this in the comments when you upload your file and tell them what day you will be arriving in Tucson.
Poster Session Schedule
Wednesday, 21 October 2015, 12:30 PM – Thursday, 22 October 2015, 8:00 AM: All Posters Set-Up (all posters must be set up during this time irrespective of which day you are scheduled to present)
Thursday, 22 October 2015, 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM: Poster Session A (attend your posters to answer questions; poster judges will circulate during this time)
Friday, 23 October 2015, 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM: Poster Session B (attend your posters to answer questions; poster judges will circulate during this time)
Friday, 23 October 2015, 4:00 – 6:30 PM: All Posters Take-Down (If you do not remove your poster from its poster board by 6:30 PM on Friday, it will be disposed of.)